Close Menu

Hit enter to search or ESC to close


Former Super Smash Bros. Ultimate commentator Cinnamon “Cinnpie” Dunson has issued her first public statement regarding the sexual misconduct allegations made against her last July.

“I have never in my life raped anyone, I’m not a pedophile, and I have never forced another person to be in a sexual or romantic relationship with me in anyway,” Cinnpie wrote in the statement she shared to Twitter on May 1.

 

Last summer, Smash Ultimate player Troy “Puppeh” Wells accused Cinnpie of engaging in sexual interactions with him during the summer of 2016, when Wells was 14 years old and Dunson was 24. Wells claimed their relationship “escalated as far as oral sex, but never as far as sexual intercourse.”

Shortly after Wells, Zac “Glyphmoney” Nicholson and John “Zephyr” Breeden put out their own statements alleging sexual and relationship abuse by Cinnpie. Afterward, Cinnpie went silent on social media up until this month.

In her statement, Cinnpie did not specifically address the allegations from Wells, Nicholson or Breeden. However, she did suggest that an unspecified adult man sexually assaulted her and that she wanted to help prevent others in the community from experiencing sexual abuse.

“I have never consented to, or asked anyone to wait until I’m black out drunk, vomiting, and unconscious to put their body parts anywhere inside of, or on me, in any way,” Cinnpie said. “Especially not with the nearly 40 year old man who lures groups of young competitors in just to drug a woman with his alcohol, carry her away in front of them to sexually abuse her, then leave her alone in that condition to pass out around a group of men.”

Statement from Cinnamon "Cinnpie" Dunson
Provided by Cinnamon “Cinnpie” Dunson

Cinnpie said that, per her lawyer’s advice, she would not share specific details or names outside of a courtroom. Wells confirmed in a statement to Upcomer that there is not an ongoing court case involving him.

Alongside her personal statement, Cinnpie shared a letter from the law firm Morris, Crawford & Currin, P.C., written by Diallo K. Morris. In the letter, Morris broadly ordered all “hurtful, baseless, and defamatory” comments to cease and desist. Morris also said the firm would recommend that Dunson pursue legal action were there any further defamatory comments.

On May 2, Cinnpie issued a follow-up statement claiming that everything in her initial statement was “directly involved.”

“I understand that this, combined with the widespread misinformation is confusing, but please be patient as this is settled and the truth comes out,” Cinnpie said.

Statement from Cinnamon "Cinnpie" Dunson's lawyers
Provided by Cinnamon “Cinnpie” Dunson

Cinnpie is not the only Smash community member facing accusations of sexual abuse to release a public statement in recent weeks. Last week, Gonzalo “ZeRo” Barrios shared a brief update to Instagram for the first time since his suicide attempt in March. ZeR0 was removed from the competitive Smash community last summer following sexual misconduct allegations, which he confessed were true.

Phil “EE” Visu released a YouTube video where he interviewed ZeR0 about his mental health last week. However, EE deleted the video after many community members criticized it for being insensitive to the people affected by ZeR0’s actions.

“Went ahead and took it down, I appreciate you all who gave feedback but the reality is if the point does more harm then good then I will acknowledge that,” EE wrote in a tweet. “A lot of my homies are smarter then me so I seriously appreciate the feedback, any money made will still be donated.”

This situation with the Cinnpie allegations is still developing, we’ll update this story as the situation develops.


Dylan Tate is a student in the Hussman School of Journalism and Media at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a gaming journalist with a love for Nintendo esports, particularly Super Smash Bros. and Pokémon.


https://www.upcomer.com/wp-content/themes/upcomer