One of the biggest questions the community has asked since COD Mobile launched in 2019 surrounds the topic of controller support. While the game is meant to be played on a mobile device, long-time console players feel more comfortable using a controller of their choice.
The short answer to the question of “does COD Mobile have controller support?” is yes. However, there are some other aspects about the support that prospective players should know before trying to connect any controller they have lying around.
The controller support for COD Mobile
As of the time of writing, Activision only supports two kinds of controllers in COD Mobile. Their statement on the subject is as follows:
“As of launch, only official DUALSHOCK®4 PlayStation® 4 and official Xbox One controllers can be used to play Call of Duty: Mobile. All versions of official PS4 controllers except first-generation controllers are supported. Additional controller support may be available in future updates, but for now, players using a non-supported controller may experience issues with functionality.”
Activision later stated that PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers have also joined the official lineup of supported devices. This shouldn’t affect too many players, as there aren’t many other controllers on the market. However, if a player doesn’t own a last or current-gen PlayStation or Xbox controller, they can’t connect it to COD Mobile.
How to play COD Mobile with a controller
Once players have their supported device in hand, they can connect it to their mobile device. To do this, players need to follow the steps below:
- PlayStation users need to hold down the Share and PS buttons at the same time
- Xbox users need to hold down the Sync and Xbox buttons at the same time
- Turn on the mobile device’s Bluetooth setting
- Find the “wireless controller” option when the Bluetooth is searching for a compatible device
- Connect the wireless controller with the Bluetooth
- Open the COD Mobile application and go to the “Controller settings” tab
- Press “Enable Controller support” in the settings
Following these steps should allow players to connect their controller with COD Mobile. Keep in mind, though, that the controller will only work in-game. Players will still need to use their phone or tablet to navigate the game’s menus when out of an actual game.