On Thursday, EA SPORTS announced a unique esports event, the Madden NFL “The Yard” Invitational, for professional Madden esports competitors and influencers on March 5-6.
The Yard Invitational is different than traditional Madden NFL esports events by putting players together on teams for a new competitive experience. Players will have more control over their individually-controlled targets and they will have to work with their teammates to both move the ball down the field and defend.
For those who aren’t familiar with Madden NFL esports, they are typically one on one games that adhere to the basic gameplay rules of the current version of Madden. The Yard Invitational shakes things up by introducing two on two gameplay with new mechanics.
“The Madden NFL ‘The Yard’ Invitational is unlike anything we’ve done before,” said Matt Marcou, the Madden NFL Competitive Gaming Commissioner in a press release. “This is a fast-paced, dynamic game mode, which will offer fans and players another opportunity to experience the excitement of team-based Madden NFL gameplay. It’s a glimpse into how we might experiment with this format for future Madden competitions.”
Madden NFL The Yard Invitational competitors
There will be eight teams competing in the event:
- BND: Henry “Henry” Leverette and Pavan “Pavan” Lakhat
- 818: Shay “Kiv” Kivlen and Wesley “Wesley” Gittens
- ELI: Jordan “Millz” Thompson and Dwayne “CleffTheGod” Wood
- EMB: Tony “Young Tony” Calloway and Frank “Stiff” Sardoni Jr.
- Tew Dewds: Kyle “KMaC” McAllister and Eric “Problem” Wright
- DRI/JCP: Drini “Drini” Gjoka and Joel “JoelCP” Crooms-Porter
- TNC: Jacob “Fancy” Worthington and Jacob “Jwall” Wallack
- YGNJ: Noah “Noahupnxt” Johnson and Jonathan “Jonbeast” Marquez
The players will compete in a round-robin tournament. After the first day, popular influencers and streamers will draft the final four teams they want to be a part of for the second day of the event. Here are the influencers that will be competing:
- Kristopher London
- Erin Ashley Simon