Team Fortress 2 (TF2) reached a peak player count of 131,300 after Scream Fortress IIV. Valve’s thirteen-year-old game, TF2, is a first-person (FPS), class-based shooter. The game is a sequel to the beloved FPS Team Fortress Classic and has earned its reputation as one of the most popular action games of all time. Over the years, the TF2 community has lived in the shadows of Valve’s other projects, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and DOTA 2. However, its dedicated fanbase continues to pump life into the game.
Scream Fortress is a highly anticipated annual Halloween event. Every year throughout October and November, ghosts and goblins run rampant across TF2. First introduced in 2009, Scream Fortress brings forth haunted maps, spooky sound cues, new contracts, and more. Furthermore, players have the opportunity to unlock ghastly cosmetics and have access to special edition Halloween cases.
TF2‘s all-time player count
On October 1, TF2‘s concurrent player count peaked at an unexpected 131K. This is the game’s all-time high, and the most active its been in twelve years. Thousands of new and old fans alike, flooded into the servers to take a look at the latest update.
Scream Fortress update:
- 4 new community maps: Megaloo, Bloodwater, Hassle Castle, and Moldergrove
- Added the Wicked Windfall Case
- features 22 new community designed cosmetics
- Has a chance to award players a new Halloween restricted item
- Has a chance to award a taunt unusualifier
- Introduced 19 brand new community-created Unusual effects
- Added the Scream Fortress War Paint Case
- New Halloween contracts have been added
- Completing a Halloween contract awards players with a classic Halloween item
- All players who launch the game receive a Gargoyle
- Added “Special Events” category in Casual queue to search for only Halloween event maps
Scream Fortress IIV will run until November 7, 2020. Alongside the Halloween update, Valve released a major October update. Full patch notes regarding Scream Fortress IIV and the October update can be found here.
Stay tuned to Daily Esports for more Team Fortress 2 news!