Overwatch League announces 2021 award voting starting Aug. 13
Close Menu

Hit enter to search or ESC to close

The Overwatch League announced the beginning of their 2021 season award voting, starting on Aug. 13. These awards include the voting details about the regular season MVP, grand finals MVP and the Dennis Hawelka award. The league-wide role stars — a wider vote to acknowledge the best players amongst every position — is also among these votes.

All of these votes begin at varying times, but the first poll (for the regular season MVP) occurs from Aug. 13-26.

2021 MVP Awards

Bang “JJoNak” Sung-hyeon winning the first league MVP. | Provided by Robert Paul for Activision Blizzard.

For the regular season MVP, there is already one big change to the victor. Previously, league MVPs would get their own skin. For example, there was Bang “JJoNak” Sung-hyeon’s Zen-Nakji or Kim “Fleta” Byung-sun’s Good vs. Evil skin. But, with their second MVP Jay “Sinatraa” Won’s Alien skin and his controversies, there will no longer be an MVP skin.

Moving forward, the league is now giving the MVP a patch to add to their jerseys. That, of course, comes along with $50,000 and the MVP trophy. The first ten finalists will be announced on the first day of voting. Those individuals will then be narrowed down over thirteen days of voting.

According to the Overwatch League website, “Fan votes will account for 25% of the overall tally, with the other 75% coming from a combination of general managers, coaches, broadcast talent and media.” This same vote split applies to the grand finals MVP, with the voting happening live during the grand finals.

Other awards

As for the other awards, the voting is more limited to the teams and players. The first is the Rookie of the Year. Players qualify for this if they didn’t play in the last Overwatch League season and played over 50% of their games this season.

In addition, the Dennis “Internethulk” Hawelka award returns yet again, representing the sportsmanship and positivity within the league. Each team will choose one player, which then is decided by the league. The winner will receive a trophy as well as a new patch for their jersey.

Lastly, the Role Stars awards return for the Overwatch League’s 2021 season, marking the top players across the league. Voting for role stars is also limited to the league and media.

Polish-Canadian game enthusiast. I've been entrenched in gaming as long as I can remember, with my first ever game being Pokemon Yellow and my most played game being Borderlands 2 (3000+ hours). Some other key favourites of mine are Transistor and Night in the Woods, but I spend stupid amounts of time playing Overwatch. I have a BA Honors in Film Studies, and want to continue to be part of film, gaming and writing.